Mich. lottery winner Amanda Clayton, who kept collecting welfare, dead of possible drug overdose
Clayton, 25, was found dead around 9 a.m. Saturday at a home in Ecorse, Mich., southwest of Detroit, according to police Sgt. Cornelius Herring.
According to CBS Detroit, in September of 2011, Clayton won a $1 million jackpot, before taxes, in the "Make Me Rich!" game show sponsored by the Michigan Lottery. The winning contestant gets a lottery prize.
Michigan's Department of Human Services says Clayton didn't inform the state about her pre-tax lottery windfall.
Lawyer Todd Flood, who represented Clayton when the attorney general's office prosecuted her for not reported her winnings, said Clayton probably didn't have the maturity to handle the lump-sum winnings, much like other people with sudden riches.
He says Clayton had some money left but it was a "far cry" from where she started.The Lincoln Park woman pleaded no contest to fraud in June and was sentenced to nine months' probation in July. Her attorney has said Clayton repaid about $5,500 in food aid and medical benefits.
Gov. Rick Snyder signed a law in April requiring lottery officials to tell Human Services about new winners.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Moxley's friend testifies in Skakel appeal trial
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing