Father killed wife, 2 sons in Virginia murder-suicide, police say
Fairfax County Police discovered the bodies Tuesday, but did not say how the four died until Wednesday, after the medical examiner had conducted autopsies.
According to police, 57-year-old Albert Peterson shot and killed his wife, 52-year-old Kathleen Peterson, and their two sons, 16-year-old Matthew Peterson and 13-year-old Christopher, before taking his own life. All four died from gunshots to the upper body.
Police checked on the home Tuesday after co-workers became concerned that the adults had not reported to work for two days.
A neighbor of the family, Alvaro Lopes, told CBS DC that the family recently completed building a deck and showed no outward signs of trouble.
"They were good people," said Lopes. "Very quiet [and] would hang out in their front yard and do some barbecues."
A candlelight vigil was scheduled Wednesday night at the family's church, Floris United Methodist Church in Herndon.
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, released from prison
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Embattled ex-Elmo puppeteer wins 3 Daytime Emmys
- Calif. teacher accused of killing wife arrested after search
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Joseph Naso, 79, on trial in "Double Initial" murders
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Medical examiner resigns after 3 die in same hotel room
- Report: Weekend violence leaves 7 dead, 46 shot in Chicago
- Calif. school district wins $2.6M in "false rape" case
- Funeral held for Md. girl who police say was raped, killed
- Jimmy Hoffa search focuses on field in Detroit suburb
- Court revisits disputed 911 call in Zimmerman trial
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender