Oklahoma junior high student shoots self at school in apparent suicide, police say
(CBS/AP) STILLWATER, Okla. - Police said a student shot himself in an apparent suicide at an Oklahoma junior high school Wednesday morning.
Police Capt. Randy Dickerson said a school resource officer heard a gunshot shortly before 8 a.m. and a student was found dead in a hallway.
Authorities said the junior high school and a nearby elementary school were locked down and classes were canceled for the day. The name of the student has not be released, pending notification of next of kin.
Stillwater Junior High released a statement sent to parents saying there had been "single shooting incident" at the school and that staff and students were moved to a safe location. Parents were told to pick up their children at a nearby shopping center.
Superintendent Ann Caine said counselors will be available for the students.
"It is with a heavy heart that I inform you of a tragic incident at our (school) this morning," Caine said in a letter to parents. "At 7:50 a.m. one of our students died as a result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. All other students and staff are safe."
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests