Four family members found dead in Virginia home, police say
Fairfax County police spokeswoman Lucy Caldwell said officers were called about 10:30 a.m. and asked to do a welfare check on a home in Herndon, Va. Police entered the home shortly after noon and found the bodies of the four family members.
Police declined to provide any identification pending notification of family. CBS affiliate WUSA reports that the man and woman were in their 50s and had two sons, one a high school sophomore and the other in 8th grade.
Caldwell would not discuss whether the case was a murder-suicide, but said that homicide detectives are investigating and that there is no public safety threat.
Jeremy Wilcox, a neighbor who lives down the street, said the family was at a community picnic Sunday and showed no signs of any problem. He said the father would frequently be on his front porch waving to cars as they passed by, and that he sometimes stuck a plow on the front of his truck to clear a path for neighborhood cars when there was a snowstorm.
A candlelight vigil will be held for the family at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at the family's church, Floris United Methodist Church in Herndon.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen