Pregnant inmate escapes from Ind. hospital, police searching
(CBS/WLKY) FLOYD COUNTY, Ind. - Authorities say they are searching for a 23-year-old pregnant woman who escaped police custody while being treated Sunday at a southern Indiana hospital.
According to CBS affiliate WLKY, Bridgette Sims was arrested Friday night on charges of theft and possession of a controlled substance. The Floyd County Sheriff's Department said Sims, who is eight months pregnant, was taken to a hospital for treatment under police supervision.
The station reports that Sims asked to use the restroom but never came out, instead slipping through another door that the deputy on guard didn't know about.
"With her being eight months pregnant, we're concerned about the well-being of the child and obviously getting her back into custody to face her charges," police Maj. Andrew Sands told WLKY.
The sheriff's department is also reportedly looking for Sims' boyfriend, Chris Gentry, who is wanted on a probation violation on drug charges. Police said the two may be together.
Authorities believe the two fugitives are still in southern Indiana or northern Kentucky.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released