Pittsburgh Hostage Standoff: Armed man holds one hostage in downtown office building, police say
Police negotiators were in contact with the man after he took the hostage shortly after 8 a.m. on the 16th floor of Three Gateway Center, Pittsburgh Police Chief Nate Harper said.
Authorities know the identities of the gunman and the hostage but were not releasing them, Harper said. He described the suspect as "ex-military," but didn't elaborate. He said no injuries had been reported and no shots had been fired.
A witness who works on the 16th floor identified the business where the hostage situation was unfolding as CW Breitsman Associates, a firm that helps businesses run employee benefits programs.
According to initial reports, the person being held hostage may be the owner or the manager, CBS Pittsburgh reports.
According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, emergency dispatchers said the suspect also claimed to have a bomb.
Harper says no shots have been fired and no injuries are reported.
Several hundred people milled around about a half-block from the 24-story building after police evacuated it.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot