Ailene Lander, Ala. teen, believed to have been kidnapped by stepfather, police say
(CBS/AP) DOTHAN, Ala. - Authorities are looking for 15-year-old Ailene Lander, who police believe was abducted Monday afternoon by her stepfather and mother.
Police said they believe 36-year-old Charles Partin may have abducted the teenager on Monday while she was at a doctor's appointment in Dothan, where she was taken by an employee with the Alabama Department of Human Resources.
Officials said the girl was in custody of state welfare officials at the time of her abduction. Neither Ailene's stepfather nor her mother, Julie Bethke, had the legal right to take her. No information was released as to why Ailene was taken into state custody.
The Dothan Eagle reported that Partin confronted Ailene and the DHR worker around 1 p.m. while they were at the doctor's office. Police said Partin reportedly took the teenage girl to a van outside the building and left the parking lot.
Dothan police Sgt. Rachel David said police believe Ailene and her stepfather may also be accompanied by her mother and five siblings. Police said they consider all the children to be endangered and believe that Bethke is assisting Partin, although they haven't released any additional information.
David said FBI agents are assisting the Dothan Police Department with the case and is offering a reward for her safe return.
Police are looking for a blue 1994 Mercury Villager with either Alabama tag 34B26K3 or 38D18W2, which is the vehicle believed to have been used to flee the scene, according to the Dothan Eagle.
Lander, who is 5 feet, 5 inches tall and weighs about 140 pounds, was reportedly last seen wearing a white shirt and pink gym shorts.
Those with information regarding the whereabouts of Ailene and her family are asked to call 1-800-CALL-FBI or their nearest law enforcement agency.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Jodi Arias Trial: Jury weighs "cruelty" factor