Too close for comfort - criminally close - on NYC subway
The lewd act involves rubbing up against unassuming subway riders, and some city lawmakers are demanding tougher penalties, CBS New York reports.
A Bronx man recently convicted of doing it to three young women - even ejaculating on them -did not get prison time because of a 2008 ruling from New York's Supreme Court.
A 29-year-old man was charged with "forcible compulsion" after he grinded on a 14-year-old.
But the Court of Appeals ruled the man did not use force, so the charge was downgraded from first-degree sex abuse to a misdemeanor, setting a precedent women said is just not right.
"Even though he's not using force in a conventional sense, it is a forceful act of abuse against women," said Upper West Side resident Mary Coudal.
Coudal said she still can't shake what happened to her on the subway years ago.
"It was very embarrassing for me, but I said, 'Excuse me, I want everyone on this car to know this gentleman was just rubbing up against me,'" Coudal told CBS New York.
Coudal was pregnant at the time.
City Councilman Peter Vallone, Jr. said he wants to put the violators on a sex offenders' list.
"The judges are wrong. They're up in an ivory tower. They're not a 14-year-old girl pinned in a train having this happen to her," Vallone said. "But we shouldn't rely on them. Albany (home to the state legislature) needs to write a law to fit this crime."
Last year, the New York Senate passed a measure that would make grinding a felony for repeat offenders, but the Assembly struck it down.
The bill's sponsors plan to try again this year.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests