Michael Turner, NFL running back, jailed for drunken speeding, Ga. police say
(CBS/AP) ATLANTA - Police arrested Atlanta Falcons running back Michael Turner for speeding on a highway while under the influence of alcohol early Tuesday, just hours after he scored a touchdown against the Denver Broncos.
Turner, 30, was booked into the Gwinnett County jail in Atlanta around 5 a.m. Tuesday on charges of drunken driving and speeding. He was released hours later on $2,179 bond, according to jail records.
Cpl. Edwin Ritter said a Gwinnett County police officer pulled over Turner's car on Interstate 85 northeast of Atlanta after clocking the car at 97 mph, 32 mph over the speed limit.
Ritter said the officer arrested Turner after a field sobriety test.
"The officer could smell an odor of alcoholic beverage coming from the driver and proceeded to conduct a DUI investigation," Ritter said.
Hours before his arrest, Turner and the Falcons celebrated a 27-21 home victory over Payton Manning and the Denver Broncos.
Turner scored the Falcons' first touchdown after jumping over a pileup of Atlanta and Denver linemen in the first quarter. It was Turner's 51st touchdown for the Falcons, a franchise record.
"We are aware of the situation involving Michael and are in the process of gathering more information," the Falcons said in a statement.
Turner, who played at Northern Illinois during his college career, joined the Falcons in 2008 after four seasons with the San Diego Chargers. Last year, he rushed for 1,340 yards and 11 touchdowns.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case