Shaun White, Olympic snowboarder, arrested for intoxication, vandalism at Nashville hotel
(CBS/AP) NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Police arrested two-time Olympic gold medalist snowboarder Shaun White on charges of public intoxication and vandalism after he allegedly destroyed a phone and pulled a fire alarm at a Nashville hotel.
Officers responded to the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel at 2 a.m. Sunday after a drunken man identified as 26-year-old White allegedly pulled a fire alarm, forcing the hotel to evacuate all guests. An employee also reported seeing White destroy a hotel phone.
Police said a concerned bystander apparently kept White from fleeing in a cab. The citizen kept the cab from leaving the hotel and told the driver he was going to call police.
"When White overheard their conversation, he allegedly kicked the citizen and fled on foot," according to the police. "The citizen reported that he chased White until White turned and ran into him, apparently causing White to fall backwards and strike his head against a fence."
Police said White appeared to be drunk when he was given the opportunity to sign misdemeanor citations, which he refused. White was treated at Baptist Hopsital, a hospital spokeswoman said. He was released on Monday and was arrested and booked by police.
White was released by police late Monday afternoon on his own recognizance. His court date was set for Oct. 10.
White won a gold medal in Turin at the 2006 Olympics and in 2010 at the Vancouver Games, in addition to winning medals at the Winter X Games every year since 2002. He is also a multimillionaire with a clothing line and signature video game who expanded his business last year with a company selling skateboards, BMX bikes and other equipment.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles