Judy Groomes, Air Force staff sergeant, allegedly gets husband to shoot her to avoid deployment
Police say Judy Groomes, 25, was treated for wounds on both of her legs from one round from a handgun fired by her husband, 26-year-old Staff Sgt. Christopher Tyquan Groomes, reports CBS affiliate KSLA.
Both are active military based at nearby Barksdale Air Force Base. According to a statement from Barksdale, Judy Groomes was scheduled to be deployed to Southwest Asia in the coming months.
Groomes allegedly claimed an intruder shot her early Friday while her husband and two children slept. But police say she convinced her husband to shoot her to avoid military service.
Christopher Groomes was arrested on a gun charge. Judy Groomes faces a criminal mischief charge for allegedly filing a false police report.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case