Woman pretended to be parent, stole from elementary schools, say Denver police
Denver police announced Wednesday that Winter Yates, who authorities say has a long prior rap sheet, stole wallets, purses, and other valuable items from empty classrooms. Schools where confirmed thefts happened include Carson Elementary, Cole Arts and Science Academy and Bromwell Elementary.
The parent of one Bromwell student, Steve Heim, told police, "It's a lot of activity in a short amount of time. I'm glad she's off the streets."
Parents at several of the targeted schools want to know how the woman got inside so easily without being noticed.
Bromwell's doors lead to an open area where parents have to sign in. Teachers say that at 3:15 p.m. when the students are dismissed, Yates apparently slipped in during the busy activity, CBS Denver reported.
"It's very scary to think that that could happen that easily here, with all the precautions that we try to make on a daily basis to keep our kids safe," Steve Heim said.
So far, authorities are not releasing many details except that Yates has an extensive criminal record that includes previous arrests on charges of theft, drug and resisting arrest.
"We definitely wanted to get her off the streets. Especially going into schools -- that's something we are always very cautious of," said Denver police spokeswoman Raquel Lopez.
According to police, Yates used a stolen credit card in May to buy hundreds of dollars worth of items at a Target store, CBS Denver reported.
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says