Univ. of Texas-Austin, North Dakota State campus evacuated after schools receive bomb threats
(CBS/KEYE) AUSTIN, Texas - University of Texas campus buildings have been evacuated after a phone threat about bombs placed around campus, reports CBS affiliate KEYE. North Dakota State University in Fargo, N.D. is also evacuating after a bomb threat. It is unclear whether the two threats are related.
UT public affairs released the following statement at 9:45 a.m.:
"The university received a call from a male with a Middle Eastern accent claiming to have placed bombs all over campus. He said he was with Al Qaeda and these bombs would go off in 90 minutes. University President William Powers was notified and it was decided to evacuate all of the buildings out of an abundance of caution."
A notice on the homepage of the university's website reads: "Evacuation due to threats on campus. Immediately evacuate ALL buildings and get as far away as possible. More information to come."
According to the university's website, UT-Austin has approximately 51,000 students and 24,000 faculty and staff members.
North Dakota State University in Fargo, N.D., is also being evacuated Friday morning following a bomb threat, according to an alert posted on the college's website.
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin