Erica DePalo, "Teacher of the Year," accused of having sexual relationship with student at NJ school
(CBS/AP) NEWARK, N.J. - A New Jersey teacher who had been named 2011's "Teacher of the Year" at the high school where she taught was in court Wednesday answering charges that she had sex with a 15-year-old boy in her honors English class.
Pictures: Notorious teacher sex scandals
Erica DePalo's attorney, Anthony Alfano, entered a not guilty plea on her behalf during a hearing in Superior Court in Newark. DePalo, 33, is facing aggravated sexual assault, sexual assault and child endangerment charges. Prosecutors said she carried
on a "sexual relationship" with her student from June 2012 until just recently, according to court documents.
DePalo was arrested on Aug. 31, but remains free on $100,000 bail. She is due back in court on Oct. 22.
School officials said DePalo is indefinitely suspended from teaching English at West Orange High School, where she was a teacher for nearly a decade.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Moxley's friend testifies in Skakel appeal trial