Texas fugitive Eric McGowen captured after fleeing gang rape trial, official says
(CBS/AP) HOUSTON - Authorities have captured Eric McGowen, who fled his trial one day before he was convicted of the repeated gang rape of an 11-year-old Texas girl, a federal official said.
U.S. Marshals Service spokesman Alfredo Perez said McGowen was arrested Thursday after he was found in an apartment in northeast Houston. Members of the Gulf Coast Violent Offenders Task Force arrested him without incident.
Authorities searched for McGowen since he fled his trial on Aug. 29, the same day the young victim testified about the attacks in her hometown of Cleveland, about 45 miles northeast of Houston.
The trial went on without him. McGowen was convicted the next day of aggravated sexual assault of a child and sentenced to 99 years in prison.
McGowan was one of 20 men and boys who allegedly took part in sexually assaulting the girl on at least five occasions when she was 11-years-old in 2010. Jurors deliberated for 20 minutes before finding him guilty. After brief testimony in the punishment phase, they decided his sentence in less than 30 minutes.
More on Crimesider
Aug. 31, 2012 - Fugitive Eric McGowen convicted, sentenced to 99 years in prison for sexually assaulting an 11-year-old
August 30, 2012 - Defendant Eric McGowen escapes during a break in his trial for the gang-rape of a Texas girl
April 5, 2011 - Cleveland, Texas gang rape suspects appear in court
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin