"Ninja robbers" nabbed in South Florida crime spree
Law enforcement sources confirmed that Clifton Lamothe, 31, and Michael Gonzalez, 31, were both taken into custody after a police-involved shooting in Hollywood, Fla. Friday night.
They said a multi-agency task force investigating the stickups confronted Lamothe and Gonzalez and Lamothe after a robbery at the 2 Quick Food Store in Dania Beach.
"We found the subject from the robbery and we were attempting to do a traffic stop when this occurred," a Florida Department of Law Enforcement Official said.
Store clerk Mohammed Huq said he was alone at the time.
"He had a gun," Huq told CBS Miami. "He put the gun to my head. I opened up the register and gave him the money."
Sources told the station an Aventura police officer shot Gonzalez during the subsequent traffic stop.
Sources said the two men may be responsible for as many as 18 robberies in Miami-Dade and Broward counties.
Prosecutors are exploring the possibility of charging the pair under the federal Hobbs Act, sources told CBS Miami.
"If an individual commits either robbery or extortion and there's a connection to interstate commerce, they could be charged with robbery or extortion under this particular statue," former federal prosecutor David Weinstein said.
The FBI has taken over the case.
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship