"Ninja robbers" nabbed in South Florida crime spree
Law enforcement sources confirmed that Clifton Lamothe, 31, and Michael Gonzalez, 31, were both taken into custody after a police-involved shooting in Hollywood, Fla. Friday night.
They said a multi-agency task force investigating the stickups confronted Lamothe and Gonzalez and Lamothe after a robbery at the 2 Quick Food Store in Dania Beach.
"We found the subject from the robbery and we were attempting to do a traffic stop when this occurred," a Florida Department of Law Enforcement Official said.
Store clerk Mohammed Huq said he was alone at the time.
"He had a gun," Huq told CBS Miami. "He put the gun to my head. I opened up the register and gave him the money."
Sources told the station an Aventura police officer shot Gonzalez during the subsequent traffic stop.
Sources said the two men may be responsible for as many as 18 robberies in Miami-Dade and Broward counties.
Prosecutors are exploring the possibility of charging the pair under the federal Hobbs Act, sources told CBS Miami.
"If an individual commits either robbery or extortion and there's a connection to interstate commerce, they could be charged with robbery or extortion under this particular statue," former federal prosecutor David Weinstein said.
The FBI has taken over the case.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles