Bag containing body parts of murdered mother Loretta Gates found in Niagara Falls
(CBS/AP) Niagara Falls, NY- The body parts of a homicide victim, Loretta Gates, were found in a bag floating in a lake at an upstate New York park on Sunday, Captain William Thomson of the Niagara Falls Police Department said.
Gates, who was living at her mother's house in Niagara Falls at the time, disappeared on the night of Aug. 25 after she told her mother she was going to a store across the street from their home.
Four days later, a tourist aboard a Maid of the Mist tour spotted the missing mother's headless torso near the base of Niagara falls. A bag containing Gate's body parts was discovered two days after the torso was found.
Authorities have not released how she was killed.
Investigators have determined that her disappearance Is not related to the death of a single mother whose decomposed torso was found in a suitcase in Lake Ontario last week.
Gates had three children, ages 4, 5, and 11.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests
- Ohio day care worker charged with drugging kids' snacks