Christopher Maffei, Calif. man, held in abduction of children, stealing boat
McPhillips said the California father took his 3-year-old daughter Brooklynn and 2-year-old son Devin from their maternal grandmother while the children's mother, Maffei's former girlfriend, was in a Redwood City court on Tuesday seeking a restraining order against him.
South San Francisco police say that after running off with the children, Maffei drove to a harbor in Alameda County and stole a sailboat. He sailed the boat out the Golden Gate and headed down the coast, police said.
The FBI was notified once it was determined that Maffei had crossed county lines and stolen a boat, then the U.S. Coast Guard was called in once he sailed the boat to the coast, McPhillips said.
The Coast Guard and FBI began tracking the 40-foot sailboat named "Unleashed" after a fisherman spotted it off the San Mateo County coast on Friday.
The children's rescue south of Monterey Bay around 8 p.m. Friday came hours after the Coast Guard had dispatched a HC-130 Hercules plane, a helicopter and two cutters to follow the boat as it slowly sailed down the coastline, Coast Guard officials said.
The children's mother, Jennifer Hipon, told television reporters that she was "blown away" that her estranged boyfriend took the children.
"It's surreal that he actually did this," she said.
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin