"Friend" steals couple's wedding gifts, say L.I. police
Police in Sayville, N.Y. say Santiago, 18, was arrested a short distance from the West Sayville Country Club just before midnight Saturday, for stealing gifts from his newly married friends' wedding reception, CBS New York reported.
Santiago, of Irvington, N.J., was among the guests at Larry and Joanna Williamson's wedding bash. The maitre d' said he saw a man carrying the box filled with gift envelopes and alerted the bride, who did not recognize Santiago at first.
The suspect then tried to stuff the envelopes into his pockets and took off out of the country club. Other wedding guests chased him down and held him until police arrived.
All of the gift envelopes were returned to the couple.
Santiago is charged with grand larceny in the fourth degree, and probably won't be invited to the kids' first communion.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released