West Indian Day Parade: Two men fatally stabbed, two people shot after celebration, police says
(CBS/AP) NEW YORK - Two men were killed in separate stabbing incidents and two people were shot in Brooklyn on Monday evening as the West Indian Day Parade came to a close, police say.
An estimated crowd of three million people lined Eastern Parkway for the annual West Indian Day Parade, according to CBS New York. The parade celebrated the culture of the Caribbean islands, with parade participants and spectators dressed in bright feathered costumes.
A 27-year-old man was stabbed in the neck around 6 p.m. at Eastern Parkway and Bedford Avenue, police said. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Police said a man was taken into custody in connection to a second stabbing around 6:30 p.m., when a 26-year-old man was stabbed in the neck on St. John's Place, a couple of blocks away from the parade route. He was also pronounced dead at the hospital.
Meanwhile, the violence continued as a 24-year-old man and a 32-year-old woman were reportedly shot on Eastern Parkway, CBS New York reports. However, their injuries are not considered life threatening.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car