Calif. woman, 82, with rap sheet dating to 1955, suspected of burglary
Police arrested Doris Thompson on Thursday at a motel in El Segundo, the Daily Breeze of Torrance reports.
Police say they believe Thompson visited doctors' offices and hid inside until workers went home for the night. She would then come out of hiding, search for keys and steal cash from lock boxes, police reportedly told the newspaper. She's believed to have stolen a total $17,000 in eight burglaries since March.
The octogenarian has a 21-page rap sheet dating back to 1955, according to the Daily Breeze . She's been arrested for disturbing the peace, burglary, forgery and grand theft in cities from Los Angeles to the South Bay to Beverly Hills. She was arrested in connection with a homicide in 1957, but was deemed insane and committed to a hospital.
Thompson pleaded guilty two years ago to similar burglaries, and was released on parole in November.
According to the newspaper, Thompson reportedly told detectives at her sentencing that she "wouldn't do all this nonsense if the government gave us more money."
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- City sues "Robin Hood" group that prevents parking tickets
- Vegas police: Boy, 15, murdered over iPad
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death