Six-year-old boy stabbed to death, 12-year-old sister's throat slit in NJ attack
(CBS/AP) CAMDEN, N.J. - A sleeping 6-year-old boy was stabbed to death inside a bedroom of his southern New Jersey home early Sunday in an attack that also critically wounded his 12-year-old sister, who was also asleep in the room, prosecutors said. CBS New York reports that two other children in the home were unharmed.
Camden County prosecutors said 6-year-old Dominick Andujor was pronounced dead at the scene. His sister, whose throat was slit, remains hospitalized.
The girl, whose name has not been released, went door to door in her Camden neighborhood to get help and finally reached the home of Nakyta McCray, who called 911. She said the girl "was barely breathing" and bleeding profusely when emergency personnel arrived.
It wasn't clear yet why the children were targeted, but a man who lives in the area and apparently has lacerations on his hand was being sought Sunday.
Also in the home were two girls, age 9 and 14, said Jason Laughlin, a spokesman for the Camden County prosecutor's office. The teenager had been babysitting the other three children because their mother was in the hospital.
McCray said the man being sought in the attack is well-known around the neighborhood. She says he plays with the local children and seemed to be a peaceful person.
"People would never think he would do something like this," she said.
Camden, across the Delaware River from Philadelphia, continually ranks as one of the nation's most dangerous. The double stabbing comes shortly after another child died a violent death in Camden. On Aug. 22, a 33-year-old city woman allegedly decapitated her 2-year-old toddler and then fatally stabbed herself.
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Cops: NYC man dead after "anti-gay" hate shooting
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Authorities search for missing URI student
- Colorado mob attacks man thought to be sexual predator
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home