Levi Aron gets 40 years to life in prison for murder, dismemberment of Leiby Kletzky
Levi Aron, 37, pleaded guilty this month to lesser charges in a deal that spared him a criminal trial and the possibility of life in prison without parole. Aron said nothing Wednesday at his sentencing hearing. He will be eligible for parole in 40 years.
Aron admitted killing 8-year-old Leiby Kletzky after the boy asked him for directions in the Orthodox Jewish neighborhood of Brooklyn where he lived. Leiby got lost on his way home from day camp, the first time he had been allowed to walk alone.
Leiby was Hasidic, an ultra-Orthodox version of Judaism, and the killing shook the tight-knit community in Borough Park, a safe and somewhat insular neighborhood that is home to one of the world's largest communities of Orthodox Jews outside Israel, according to The Associated Press. Aron, who lived nearby, was Orthodox but not Hasidic.
Detectives found the boy's severed feet wrapped in plastic in Aron's freezer. A cutting board and three bloody carving knives were found in the refrigerator. The rest of the boy's body was discovered in bags inside a red suitcase in a trash bin about a mile from Aron's apartment. His legs had been cut from his torso.
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case