Joshua Shelton, Md. man, killed 70,000 chickens while drunk, police say
(CBS/AP) DELMAR, Md. - Authorities said 21-year-old Joshua Shelton was charged in connection with the deaths of nearly 70,000 chickens over the weekend.
The Wicomico County Sheriff's Office said Shelton was charged with burglary, malicious destruction of property and trespassing.
The owner of a Delmar farm told a deputy early Saturday that the power had been turned off in three poultry houses, which deprived the chickens of food, water and cooling fans, the sheriff's office said.
Shelton was found lying in the power control shed, wearing a T-shirt and boxer shorts and smelling of alcohol, authorities said. The deputy determined that Shelton turned off the circuit breakers that controlled electricity to the poultry houses.
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- City sues "Robin Hood" group that prevents parking tickets
- Vegas police: Boy, 15, murdered over iPad
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death