Joshua Shelton, Md. man, killed 70,000 chickens while drunk, police say
(CBS/AP) DELMAR, Md. - Authorities said 21-year-old Joshua Shelton was charged in connection with the deaths of nearly 70,000 chickens over the weekend.
The Wicomico County Sheriff's Office said Shelton was charged with burglary, malicious destruction of property and trespassing.
The owner of a Delmar farm told a deputy early Saturday that the power had been turned off in three poultry houses, which deprived the chickens of food, water and cooling fans, the sheriff's office said.
Shelton was found lying in the power control shed, wearing a T-shirt and boxer shorts and smelling of alcohol, authorities said. The deputy determined that Shelton turned off the circuit breakers that controlled electricity to the poultry houses.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths