Maryland high school shooter Robert Wayne Gladden, Jr. brought shotgun, vodka to school
Robert Wayne Gladden Jr. has been charged as an adult with attempted murder and first-degree assault in the shooting, which left a 17-year-old classmate critically wounded. Gladden was being held without bail.
Baltimore County Police Chief James Johnson says Gladden came to school Monday with a bottle of vodka, a disassembled shotgun and 21 rounds of ammunition. He says the shotgun was more than 40 years old.
When he arrived at school, Gladden went to his first two classes, Johnson said. On the way to the cafeteria, he stashed the bag with the shotgun in a restroom, the chief said. A short time later, he returned to the restroom and assembled the gun, which he then hid beneath his clothes, Johnson said.
Upon entering the cafeteria, he pulled out the gun and fired a shot toward a lunch table, according to charging documents. A 17-year-old classmate, Daniel Borowy, was struck in the back.
Gladden's father told The Associated Press that his son had been bullied. Baltimore County Police Chief James Johnson said at a news conference Tuesday that he was aware of the reported bullying, but he said Gladden has not indicated in conversations with detectives that bullying was a motive for the shooting. He did not disclose other possible motives.
Gladden's last status update on his Facebook page, posted the morning of the shooting, read: "First day of school, last day of my life. ... f--- the world."
Johnson says Gladden continues to cooperate with investigators and was undergoing a mental health evaluation.
Borowy remained in critical condition Tuesday at Maryland Shock Trauma Center, a hospital spokeswoman said.
Classes resumed Tuesday at the school amid a low-key police presence. About 150 students turned out for a prayer vigil organized by local churches on the school grounds.
More on Crimesider
August 27, 2012 - Maryland High School Shooting: Police don't believe shooter targeted victim
August 27, 2012 - Maryland High School Shooting: Student shot at school near Baltimore on first day of classes, police say
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Swim coach Richard Curl gets 7 years for sex abuse
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied