N.C. man allegedly strangled girlfriend's Chihuahua, charged with animal cruelty
(CBS) Cory Gray, a 24-year-old North Carolina man, is facing animal cruelty charges after he allegedly strangled his girlfriend's pet Chihuahua while she was at school at Cape Fear Community College, the New York Daily News reports.
Jenna Branham, of Wilmington, came home from classes on Friday to discover her 2-year-old pup dead.
""I found him there, and I found little Charlie. He just looked like so in pain and so tense, and he just looked so pitiful and helpless," she told local TV station WWAY.
Gray, who was arrested on Friday night, was charged with felony cruelty against animals and released on $5,000 bond. The motive for the attack has yet to be released by cops, although a relationship change by Branham from "single" to "in a relationship" on Facebook suggests a possible fight between Gray and Branham.
Gray was due to make his first court appearance on Monday, but Branham's family has argued that Gray should be facing harsher punishment. The family has since started a petition to raise awareness about animal cruelty.
"If Charlie had been a person, it would be murder, but it's not. It's animal cruelty," Branham's mother, Donna, told WWAY. "It's not animal cruelty. It's animal murder. He murdered this dog."
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Digging resumes for Jimmy Hoffa remains today
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests
- Ill. man dodges $70 restaurant bill, gets 3 years in prison
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"