Isabella Tennant: Two teens charged in connection with death of 5-year-old NY girl
(CBS/AP) NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y. - Two teenage boys are charged in connection with the death of 5-year-old Isabella Tennant, whose body was found in a trash can in a New York alleyway.
Authorities said 16-year-old John Freedman and 18-year-old Tyler Best are scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday morning in Niagara Falls City Court. An autopsy of Isabella's body is also scheduled for Tuesday.
Police said Best came to them Monday morning and led them to a garbage can containing a trash bag holding Isabella's body. He told police he helped Freeman dispose the body after Freeman killed her.
Isabella's family reported her missing Monday morning from her great-grandmother's Niagara Falls home, where Isabella was staying overnight. Her great-grandmother said she last saw her Sunday night with Freeman, a neighbor and family friend.
Police charged Freeman as an adult, and he faces a murder charge. Best is charged with tampering with evidence.
Authorities said it appeared Isabella was killed without any weapons being involved. At a news conference Monday afternoon, Niagara Falls Chief Detective William Thompson said there were signs of injuries but no indication of sexual abuse.
"As far as we know, he was a trusted family friend," Thompson said. "It's a terrible crime. It tears at your heart."
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case