19 people wounded in Chicago shooting attacks overnight, including 13 within 30 minutes, police say
(CBS) CHICAGO - Police said 19 people were injured in shootings across the South and West sides of Chicago overnight, 13 of whom were shot within a 30 minute period around 9 p.m., CBS Chicago reports.
Authorities said eight of the victims were gunned down in a drive-by shooting on Chicago's South Side late Thursday. The victims ranged from 14 to 28 years old, and most are in stable condition. Police said the incident stemmed from an internal gang dispute. They are searching for two suspected gunmen.
Five people were wounded in three other shootings at about the same time. In total, at least 19 people were injured in shootings between 5:15 p.m. Thursday and 1:45 a.m. Friday. The other shootings all happened on the South and Southwest sides, according to CBS Chicago.
It has been a bloody summer in the Windy City.
In July, Crimesider reported that at least 15 people were shot within 24 hours in several incidents throughout the city. One such incident was possibly gang-related, in which a drive-by shooting wounded two women and one man, according to police.
Crimesider also reported a separate attack on the night of July 4, when Chicago police arrested 11 people in the River North neighborhood during a fireworks display. Police said a man was beaten and hit in the face by a group of juveniles.
In June, a weekend of violence claimed the lives of four people while wounding at least 30 others.
Chuck Wexler, the executive director of the Police Executive Research Forum told Crimesider that he thinks the violence in the city is due to "a combustible mix of the number of guns in Chicago and the number of gang members."
More on Crimesider
July 5, 2012 - Fourth of July Crime Roundup
July 4, 2012 - Chicago violence includes girl,10, among more than a dozen shot in past 24 hours
June 25, 2012 - 4 dead, 30 wounded in weekend Chicago violence intensifying search for answers
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Digging resumes for Jimmy Hoffa remains today
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Coroner: Serial killer, the "Night Stalker," died of cancer
- Ill. man dodges $70 restaurant bill, gets 3 years in prison