Rodney King died of accidental drowning, had multiple drugs in system, autopsy says
CBS Los Angeles reports that the coroner said alcohol, marijuana, cocaine and PCP were found in his system and were contributing factors to the 47-year-old's death on June 17.
Police officers attempted to resuscitate King, who was found at the bottom of his swimming pool, but he was later pronounced dead at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center.
Rialto police conducted a drowning investigation. From the beginning, police said they did not suspect foul play.
King became known worldwide in 1991 when his arrest and beating by Los Angeles police officers was captured on videotape. The officers involved in that incident were acquitted the following year and the announcement of the verdict led to the 1992 Los Angeles riots.
King later filed a civil suit against the city of Los Angeles and was awarded $3.8 million.
In April 2012, King spoke candidly to CBS2/KCAL9 News anchor Pat Harvey about his life since the riots as well as his ability to forgive the officers.
"I just felt the support throughout the world not just here in America but the letters and the positive comments and feedback that I was getting since the beating. And people have forgiven me for some things that I've done and so, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I wasn't able to forgive the officers," he told Harvey.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths