Unfriendly skies: NJ man accused of sexually abusing woman on United flight
(CBS) NEWARK, N.J. - New Jersey man Bawer Aksal was arrested Tuesday morning after authorities said he sexually abused a sleeping woman, during a five hour United Airlines flight from Phoenix to Newark Liberty Airport, CBS New York reports.
Aksal, a 48-year-old from North Bergen, was seated next to a woman he didn't know who fell asleep during the flight, according to prosecutors. When she woke up, Aksal allegedly had one hand in her shorts and another in her shirt. Aksal was breathing heavily and whispered to the victim, "kiss me," according to the FBI complaint.
Alarmed, the woman slammed the armrest down and told Aksal to get off of her, prosecutors said, according to CBS New York. She then told a member of the flight crew what happened. The passenger sitting on the other side of Aksal corroborated the victim's story, the station reported.
Aksal was isolated on the plane after the alleged incident and arrested as soon as the flight landed. According to the complaint, Aksal admitted to groping the woman during an interview with law enforcement officers but claimed that it was consensual.
CBS New York reported Aksal has been ordered held without bail as a possible flight risk. If convicted of the sexual abuse charge, Aksal could face life in prison and a $250,000 fine.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt