Megan Boken, former St. Louis University volleyball player, fatally shot in her car
(CBS) ST. LOUIS - St. Louis authorities are still searching for a suspect in the fatal shooting of 23-year-old Megan Boken in broad daylight on Saturday.
Police say the former St. Louis University volleyball player was sitting in her white Volkswagen in St. Louis' Central West End neighborhood around 2:15 p.m. when she was shot in the neck and chest, CBS St. Louis reports. She was outside an apartment building where she used to live while attending the university.
There were conflicting reports from police and witnesses about the gunman. Some said he'd been inside Boken's car, then exited, turned around, and shot her, according to CBS Chicago. Others witnesses said he was not in the car at all.
The gunman reportedly fled the scene on foot. Boken was taken to Barnes Jewish Hospital, where medical personnel pronounced her dead.
Police say the motive is still unknown, CBS St. Louis reports. They describe the suspected gunman as an African-American male, in his mid-20's, 5'8" to 5'10", with a thin build and a short haircut.
Boken was reportedly in St. Louis for a reunion game for former SLU volleyball players, scheduled to take place about two hours after she was killed.
St. Louis University issued this statement, after learning about the killing:
"We are shocked and saddened by this terrible and tragic loss. Megan was a truly outstanding student-athlete who excelled in the classroom and on the court. She exemplified the very best of what it means to be a Saint Louis University Billiken. Our focus right now is on providing as much support as we can for our students, and our thoughts and prayers are with Megan's family and friends during this very difficult time."Homicide detectives want to hear from anyone who was in the vicinity of the attack Saturday - they can be contacted at (314) 444-5371 or you can use the Crimestoppers toll-free tip line: 1-866-371-TIPS (8477).
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Jodi Arias Trial: Jury weighs "cruelty" factor
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family