Colo. man, on the run after allegedly launching pit bull attack on newlywed couple, police say
(CBS) DENVER - Police are looking for Joel Nevarez after he allegedly launched a pit bull attack on a newlywed couple , just hours after their wedding ceremony Saturday, CBS Denver reports.
"At one point and time he was a best friend," said bride Brittany Schults. "Someone I thought I could trust, someone I thought would never let anyone hurt me."
Nevarez, a wedding guest, allegedly got upset about something at Schults' wedding in north Denver. He left and came back later with his pit bull.
"I begged and pleaded with him, 'Just stop. Bring the dog home, it's my wedding. Don't do this, don't do this,' " Schults said.
Shults told CBS Denver that Nevarez suffers from several mental illnesses, and at one point spent time at a mental hospital. When he came back to the party following the wedding, he allegedly told his dog to attack Shults.
"He said, 'Sic her. Sic her, Skylo,' " Shults said. "The dog dragged me to the ground and shook me in its mouth ... Joel stood there with the leash in hand laughing, laughing that the dog was biting me."
The dog also attacked Shults' new husband. Nevarez then started punching Shults with brass knuckles, according to a police report.
The dog is under quarantine at the Denver Animal Shelter while Nevarez is reportedly on the run. Friends think he may have headed to Mexico to hide with family members.
Police said Nevarez should be considered dangerous, and anyone with information about his wherebouts is asked to contact authorities.
"It was terrible. It made a beautiful party into something I'll never forget," Shults said. "I'm just hoping no one else gets hurt the way I did or worse."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details