Chavis Carter Case: Police release dashboard video from the night of handcuffed man's death
(CBS/AP) JONESBORO, Ark. - Police in Arkansas have released dashboard camera video from the night Chavis Carter, 21, died from a gunshot wound to the head while handcuffed in the back seat of a patrol car on July 28.
The video depicts an officer pulling over a white pick-up truck with three men inside. One passenger tells police they have gotten lost going to meet another man, but police question their story.
All three men eventually exit the vehicle and the video shows one officer patting down Carter, then leading him off-camera.
The two men he was with tell police they are from Missouri and Tennessee. Carter tells police he is from Mississippi. His fellow passengers are questioned and then handcuffed and led off-camera. Police appear to search the vehicle and discuss finding a bag with some sort of white substance inside, as well as "baggies" and a "set of scales." One officer says he found marijuana on Carter.
The video ends before the shooting. According to previously published reports, officers decided to arrest Carter after learning he had an outstanding drug warrant from Mississippi. They reportedly searched him a second time but did not find a gun.
Earlier in the week, Jonesboro police released another video depicting officers attempting to recreate how Carter might have been able to retrieve a gun and shoot himself in the temple while handcuffed.
Carter's death has prompted intense criticism of the police and skepticism about the department's version of events. The FBI is monitoring the investigation.
Russell Marlin, an attorney representing Carter's family, said Tuesday that he is conducting his own investigation into Carter's death. He said Carter wasn't suicidal.
"By all accounts, he was a healthy, happy guy. There's no reason to think he would have killed himself," Martin said.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released