Brittni Colleps Case: Jury to get student-sex case against former Texas high school teacher
(CBS/AP) FORT WORTH, Texas - A jury is expected to begin deliberating Friday in the case of Brittni Nicole Colleps, a suburban North Texas high school teacher accused of having sex with five 18-year-old students at her home.
Closing arguments are set for Friday in Colleps' trial. She's charged with five counts of having an inappropriate relationship between a student and teacher. The second-degree felony is punishable by two to 20 years in prison per count.
Authorities say the 28-year-old former Kennedale High School English teacher had sex with the students at her Arlington home over a period of two months. Prosecutors rested their case Thursday; the defense rested without calling any witnesses or presenting any evidence.
Kennedale is a town of about 7,300 residents near Arlington, eight miles southeast of Fort Worth. The high school has about 3,200 students.
Although all of the students were over 18-years-old, it is against Texas law for a teacher to have an improper relationship with a student, regardless of age. However, if she is charged and convicted, Colleps would not have to register as a sex offender, CBS DFW reported.
Despite the accusations against his wife, Christopher Colleps is choosing to stand by her side.
"I want you to know I love my wife. I have loved my wife since the moment I laid eyes on her over 11 years ago," said Colleps. "I have always supported my wife, and I will continue to support my wife through this whole, entire ordeal."
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths