Five suspects in custody in "ambush" that killed 2 La. deputies and wounded 2 more
At a press conference Thursday afternoon, Sheriff Mike Tregre told reporters that the two deceased officers " were ambushed...or I even want to say assassinated" at a trailer park where they were questioning suspects in an earlier shooting.
Tregre said the incident started when a gunman opened fire for unknown reasons on a deputy working an off-duty traffic detail along a highway that connects U.S. Highway 61 with the busy industrial corridor along the Mississippi River, reports CBS affiliate WWLTV. That deputy was wounded.
Tregre said someone called deputies with a description of a car fleeing the scene, and officers tracked it to a nearby trailer park.
When officers found the car, they handcuffed a suspect outside a trailer, then knocked on its door. Tregre said someone with a dog answered.
"Another person exited that trailer with an assault weapon and ambushed my two officers," Tregre said. Two deputies were killed and a third was wounded.
Deputies Brandon Nielsen, 34, and Jeremy Triche, 27, were both killed. Nielsen is survived by his wife and 5 children, and Triche is survived by his wife and 2-year-old son.
The two injured deputies are Michael Boyington, 33 and Jason Triche, 30. Jason and Jeremy Triche are not believed to be related.
More on Crimesider
August 16, 2012 - La. deputies were shot and killed in an ambush while interviewing suspects in earlier shooting, sheriff says
August 16, 2012 - Shootout near New Orleans leaves two deputies dead, two in surgery
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Matt Baker, "Murdering Minister," Gets 65 Years for Killing Wife
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Matt Baker Trial: Ex Mistress Vanessa Bulls Says Preacher Killed Wife
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship