Five suspects in custody in "ambush" that killed 2 La. deputies and wounded 2 more
At a press conference Thursday afternoon, Sheriff Mike Tregre told reporters that the two deceased officers " were ambushed...or I even want to say assassinated" at a trailer park where they were questioning suspects in an earlier shooting.
Tregre said the incident started when a gunman opened fire for unknown reasons on a deputy working an off-duty traffic detail along a highway that connects U.S. Highway 61 with the busy industrial corridor along the Mississippi River, reports CBS affiliate WWLTV. That deputy was wounded.
Tregre said someone called deputies with a description of a car fleeing the scene, and officers tracked it to a nearby trailer park.
When officers found the car, they handcuffed a suspect outside a trailer, then knocked on its door. Tregre said someone with a dog answered.
"Another person exited that trailer with an assault weapon and ambushed my two officers," Tregre said. Two deputies were killed and a third was wounded.
Deputies Brandon Nielsen, 34, and Jeremy Triche, 27, were both killed. Nielsen is survived by his wife and 5 children, and Triche is survived by his wife and 2-year-old son.
The two injured deputies are Michael Boyington, 33 and Jason Triche, 30. Jason and Jeremy Triche are not believed to be related.
More on Crimesider
August 16, 2012 - La. deputies were shot and killed in an ambush while interviewing suspects in earlier shooting, sheriff says
August 16, 2012 - Shootout near New Orleans leaves two deputies dead, two in surgery
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car