Five suspects in custody in "ambush" that killed 2 La. deputies and wounded 2 more
At a press conference Thursday afternoon, Sheriff Mike Tregre told reporters that the two deceased officers " were ambushed...or I even want to say assassinated" at a trailer park where they were questioning suspects in an earlier shooting.
Tregre said the incident started when a gunman opened fire for unknown reasons on a deputy working an off-duty traffic detail along a highway that connects U.S. Highway 61 with the busy industrial corridor along the Mississippi River, reports CBS affiliate WWLTV. That deputy was wounded.
Tregre said someone called deputies with a description of a car fleeing the scene, and officers tracked it to a nearby trailer park.
When officers found the car, they handcuffed a suspect outside a trailer, then knocked on its door. Tregre said someone with a dog answered.
"Another person exited that trailer with an assault weapon and ambushed my two officers," Tregre said. Two deputies were killed and a third was wounded.
Deputies Brandon Nielsen, 34, and Jeremy Triche, 27, were both killed. Nielsen is survived by his wife and 5 children, and Triche is survived by his wife and 2-year-old son.
The two injured deputies are Michael Boyington, 33 and Jason Triche, 30. Jason and Jeremy Triche are not believed to be related.
More on Crimesider
August 16, 2012 - La. deputies were shot and killed in an ambush while interviewing suspects in earlier shooting, sheriff says
August 16, 2012 - Shootout near New Orleans leaves two deputies dead, two in surgery
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving