Breakout attempt linked to Max Wade, suspect in Guy Fieri lamborghini theft
(AP) SAN RAFAEL, Calif. - At least two suspects tried to break into a Marin County juvenile detention facility in what investigators believe was unsuccessful attempt to free a teenager accused of stealing a celebrity chef's Lamborghini, authorities said Friday.
The attempted break-in happened at Marin County Juvenile Hall about 4:30 a.m. Friday when staff heard banging on the walls and saw "at least two people out there with a sledge hammer," said Sheriff's Lt. Barry Heying.
The suspects fled before more than 40 deputies and other officers arrived at the scene and searched the buildings and neighborhood.
Investigators believe the suspects were trying to free Max Wade, who is charged with stealing TV chef Guy Fieri's $200,000 yellow Lamborghini from a San Francisco car dealership in March 2011. The San Rafael teen also faces attempted murder charges for trying to gun down a couple in Mill Valley in April.
Wade has pleaded not guilty to charges of attempted murder, vehicle theft, burglary and other crimes. Charged as an adult, he could face up to 30 years in prison if convicted of all counts.
Wade turned 18 Friday and was scheduled to be transferred to the county's adult jail.
Investigators found holes cut into two perimeter fences, a sledge hammer, bolt cutters and a damaged window at Wade's cell, according to the Marin Independent Journal.
They also discovered a backpack that contained a change of clothes.
Authorities did not have evidence Friday that Wade helped plan the operation, but the investigation is ongoing. Prosecutors said he could face additional charges if he is linked to the breach.
Michael Daly, the county's chief probation officer, said he plans to review security at Juvenile Hall, but said it's impossible to hammer through the building's concrete walls and extra thick windows.
"Everyone should know it's not very easy to break into a detention facility," he said.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.