Armed man near bar where Ind. student Lauren Spierer was seen undergoes mental exam
(CBS/AP) BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - Authorities say an armed man recently found watching a bar where Indiana University student Lauren Spierer was seen shortly before her disappearance was given a mental evaluation at a hospital, and released.
He says the hospital didn't provide any more information due to patient confidentiality.
The man told police he had been in the parking garage watching the Bloomington bar where Spierer partied with friends before she disappeared in June 2011. Police said Wednesday that the man had two loaded semi-automatic handguns in his pockets and a loaded shotgun in the trunk of his car when he was discovered Saturday. Officers said they 48 more weapons when they searched the man's Indianapolis home Sunday.
Police say the man made bizarre comments about Spierer's disappearance and claimed he met her once at a shooting range.
Police Captain Joe Qualters said the man wasn't believed to be involved in Spierer's disappearance.
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case