Mickey Shunick: Human remains positively identified as missing Louisiana college student, police say
(CBS/AP) LAFAYETTE, La. - Lafayette police say a body found this week is that of Michaela "Mickey" Shunick, a college student missing since May.
Dental and medical records were used to help identify remains as those of Shunick, according to Keith Talamo of the Lafayette Parish coroner's office.
It could be two to four weeks before investigators are able to determine a cause of death, he said.
Lafayette Police Department spokesman Paul Mouton said there will be no further comment on the Shunick investigation at this time.
Shunick vanished on May 19, days before her 22nd birthday. The University of Louisiana-Lafayette student was last seen riding away from a friend's house on her bicycle.
Tuesday, investigators acted on a tip that led them to a private, unpaved road in Evangeline Parish. This is where they found her body buried in an overgrown area behind a cemetery, Mouton said.
Shunick's parents released a statement Thursday night thanking the thousands of strangers who have shown support for the family.
"Today, we begin our lives without Mickey," said the statement. "We have not just lost our daughter, and our children have not just lost their sister; but all of us have lost a part of ourselves."
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths