Kidnapping ends in police shootout in Fla., one person dead
(CBS) HOMESTEAD, Fla. - A kidnapping plot involving six people taking two teenage boys in southern Miami-Dade county ended with a shootout that led to one woman's death, CBS Miami reports.
The kidnappers took the two teens, ages 17 and 19, at gunpoint on Wednesday, investigators said. They called the boys' family and demanded $250,000 in ransom.
The family then notified the police, and the investigation led authorities to a mobile home development where undercover detectives stormed into a unit and discovered six people believed to be the kidnappers.
A shootout occurred and a woman armed with a gun was killed. The other five kidnapping suspects were taken into custody.
"When the officers entered the residence there was a confrontation and one subject was killed on the scene," said police spokeswoman Rosanna Cordero-Stutz.
Police found both teens inside the mobile home, with the younger boy being severely beaten. The boys are now back at home with their parents.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Moxley's friend testifies in Skakel appeal trial
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call