John Villneff, Vietnam veteran, killed while protecting grandchildren from burglars in Michigan
(CBS/WWJ) DETROIT - A Vietnam War veteran and Purple Heart recipient, John Villneff, was shot and killed while protecting his grandchildren from thieves who broke into their house late Wednesday night, CBS Detroit reported.
When he heard noise coming next door, the victim, 62, ran over to protect his grandchildren from the attackers. He was shot in the back, while protecting his granddaughter.
Vanessa Villneff, the victim's daughter, told CBS Detroit that the thieves broke into their house, intending to steal the family's XBOX and Nintendo Wii gaming consoles. The attackers beat her 16-year-old nephew and went for her niece, who was snapping pictures with an iPad.
"They was trying to kill my niece because she took pictures of them, and my dad stepped in the way of the gun and that's why he died, to save his 12-year-old granddaughter," Vanessa Villneff told CBS Detroit, breaking into tears.
The boy was hospitalized, but is expected to recover, according to CBS Detroit.
The police are looking at the photographs taken by the girl, but Villneff was certain she knew who the intruders were.
"I fed these boys, I let them use my shower, they spent the night, they played the game, I took them places, I helped them out, I gave them odd jobs to do just so they wouldn't have to steal from nobody," she told CBS .
His daughter described her dad as a family man, as the victim was growing out his white beard, so he could play Santa Claus for his grandchildren during the winter holidays.
An investigation is currently underway to find the suspects.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Digging resumes for Jimmy Hoffa remains today
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests
- Coroner: Serial killer, the "Night Stalker," died of cancer
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Ill. man dodges $70 restaurant bill, gets 3 years in prison
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial