John Wise, Ohio man, charged in fatal hospital shooting of wife
(CBS/AP) AKRON, Ohio - John Wise appeared perplexed at the attempted murder charge against him when he stood before a judge Tuesday. Accused of shooting his wife in a hospital intensive care unit in what may have been a mercy killing, Wise asked the judge whether she was indeed dead.
Wise appeared before an Akron Municipal Court judge via video from jail on an aggravated attempted murder charge. The judge delayed his formal arraignment until Wednesday to give Wise time to get an attorney.
Wise was apparently confused about the attempted murder charge Tuesday, asking, "Is she not dead?"
Hours later, a medical examiner issued a report ruling the death of Barbara Wise from the gunshot wound a homicide, clearing the way for prosecutors to consider more serious charges.
Visiting Judge Marvin Shapiro told Wise he would soon have an attorney who could answer his questions.
Wise is charged with shooting his wife of 45 years in the head while at her bedside in the ICU unit of Akron General Medical Center on Saturday. She died the next morning.
Wise surrendered to hospital security after the shooting and has cooperated with investigators. His bond was set at $1 million.
Police said Barbara Wise had been in critical condition in the ICU for several days, but details of her illness haven't been made public.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen