Girl, 6, found clinging to dead woman's body in NY lake, police say
(CBS/AP) CARMEL, NY - A 6-year-old girl was pulled to safety early Monday evening by boaters, after they found her clinging to a corpse in Putnam County's Lake Gleneida, according to local police.
Sgt. John Dearman of the Town of Carmel said that three people were fishing in the lake when they saw the child holding on to an unidentified floating object.
After realizing that the unidentified object was the corpse of a woman, they quickly pulled the girl to safety and called 911.
The New York City Department of Environmental Protection identified the woman Tuesday as 59-year-old Pamela Kaner of Brewster, N.Y.
The girl was taken to a local hospital, and was said to be unharmed.
It appeared that the two had been wading into the water before the woman's death. The Journal News reported that the woman was a friend of the girl's mother.
An autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of Kaner's death. The follow-up investigation will be conducted by the New York City Department of Environmental Protection, according to CBS New York.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case