Jonathan Roth, son of NY man believed to have faked his death, says he wasn't part of any plan
(CBS/AP) NEW YORK - Jonathan Roth, the son of Raymond Roth, a New York man who was reported missing last week only to turn up days later in South Carolina, says he wasn't part of any plan concerning his father.
Jonathan Roth spoke to media outlets from an undisclosed location. The 22-year-old said he had nothing to do with the actions of his father.
The elder Roth vanished on Saturday, July 28, after a swim at Jones Beach. Jonathan Roth reported him missing and authorities undertook a massive air and water search, costing thousands of dollars.
Roth was later spotted in South Carolina early Thursday morning, when an officer issuing him a speeding ticket saw he was listed in a national registry of missing people. Roth told the officer he was returning to New York and was allowed to proceed north.
On Friday, Roth's wife told reporters he had staged the disappearance without her knowledge. She distributed copies of emails he had sent to his son.
In one email, Raymond Roth instructs his son to contact him at an Orlando, Fla., resort on Sunday evening -- a day after he was last seen at Jones Beach. A second email sent nine minutes later refers to Raymond Roth's need to "get to the bank for cash for the trip."
Jonathan Roth said he never received any emails from his father.
New York State Park Police Capt. Bruce Marx said Sunday that authorities still don't know where exactly Roth is.
Evana Roth said her husband had recently been fired from his job. He also put their house up for sale; a listing has an asking price of $550,000.
Nassau County Police said Friday that Roth recently had been required to surrender a handgun and his pistol license after a harassment complaint was filed against him in New York City. Details of the complaint were not immediately available.
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"