John Wise, Ohio man, faces court in wife's hospital shooting
AKRON, Ohio (AP) - An Ohio man will be arraigned Monday on a charge that he walked to his wife's bedside in a hospital intensive care unit and shot her in what police say was possibly an attempted mercy killing.
Barbara Wise, 65, was declared brain dead at Akron General Medical Center Sunday night, authorities said.
Akron police said her husband, 66-year-old John Wise of Massillon, entered her room Saturday and shot her while standing at her bedside.
Capt. Dan Zampelli told the Akron Beacon Journal that the shooting may have been an attempted mercy killing.
"It seems to be slanting that way," Zampelli said. "He wanted to take away her suffering." The couple had been married 45 years.
Jim Gosky, a spokesman for the medical center, said one shot was fired and security officers reached the ICU in about one minute. A doctor was in a nearby room.
Gosky said privacy rules prevent release of details why Wise had been admitted to the ICU a few days earlier.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Matt Baker, "Murdering Minister," Gets 65 Years for Killing Wife
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Matt Baker Trial: Ex Mistress Vanessa Bulls Says Preacher Killed Wife
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan