John Wise, Ohio man, faces court in wife's hospital shooting
AKRON, Ohio (AP) - An Ohio man will be arraigned Monday on a charge that he walked to his wife's bedside in a hospital intensive care unit and shot her in what police say was possibly an attempted mercy killing.
Barbara Wise, 65, was declared brain dead at Akron General Medical Center Sunday night, authorities said.
Akron police said her husband, 66-year-old John Wise of Massillon, entered her room Saturday and shot her while standing at her bedside.
Capt. Dan Zampelli told the Akron Beacon Journal that the shooting may have been an attempted mercy killing.
"It seems to be slanting that way," Zampelli said. "He wanted to take away her suffering." The couple had been married 45 years.
Jim Gosky, a spokesman for the medical center, said one shot was fired and security officers reached the ICU in about one minute. A doctor was in a nearby room.
Gosky said privacy rules prevent release of details why Wise had been admitted to the ICU a few days earlier.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands