Sarah Jones sex-abuse trial judge weighs gag order on ex-NFL cheerleader
(CBS/AP) COVINGTON, Ky. - A northern Kentucky judge is considering whether to impose a gag order Monday in the case of Sarah Jones, the former Cincinnati Bengals cheerleader who is accused of having a sex with a 17-year-old student when she was a teacher.
Kenton Circuit Judge Patricia Summe took the request for a gag order under advisement, but said she was concerned the publicity surrounding the case would make it hard to seat a jury.
The ex-cheerleader faces a sex abuse charge. Her mother, Cheryl Jones, is charged with tampering with evidence.
Despite the gag order request, Sarah Jones is firing back at her critics and the rumors about her personal life, saying she is not the "female Sandusky" - referring to the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse trial in which the former Penn State assistant coach was convicted last month of 45 counts of sexually abusing 10 boys.
"I read on a blog that I was the female [Jerry] Sandusky. To read those things and not be able to comment, not be able to stick up for myself is not fair," said Sarah Jones in an interview with ABC News on Tuesday. "I just ask the general public to maybe hold their judgment a little bit longer until the truth comes out."
Prosecutors requested the gag order after Jones spoke about the case on her attorney's radio show last month.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case