Robyn Gardner Missing: One year anniversary of Md. woman's disappearance in Aruba
(CBS) FREDERICK, Md. - Thursday marks the one year anniversary of Maryland woman Robyn Gardner's disappearance in Aruba.
The 35-year-old was reported missing on Aug. 2, 2011 by her travel companion Gary Giordano, who claimed she was swept out to sea while the two were snorkeling.
Aruban authorities conducted an exhaustive search but her body was never found.
Family and friends gathered inside a small Frederick, Md. art gallery Wednesday to mark Gardner's disappearance, reports CBS affiliate WUSA. Participants were adamant that Wednesday's service was not a memorial.
"The idea is to have a vigil for someone who is missing with the hopes that she's possibly still alive," said organizer and friend Christina Jones.
Giordano is the lone suspect in her disappearance but was never charged. He was jailed for four months in Aruba but was let go for lack of evidence. He has since returned to Maryland and has filed a claim with an insurance company for the $3.5 million life insurance policy he had taken out on Gardner.
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Cops: NYC man dead after "anti-gay" hate shooting
- Colorado mob attacks man thought to be sexual predator
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Authorities search for missing URI student
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home