Rashad Riddick, Va. man accused of triple murder, reportedly assaults attorney
(CBS/AP) MADISON, Va. - A Virginia man who is accused of a 2011 triple murder, reportedly attacked his attorney in court on Wednesday during a hearing to determine his mental competency to stand trial.
Fifteen minutes into the hearing, Rashad Riddick, 25, allegedly began to punch his attorney, Joseph Flood, in the face. Riddick's attorneys had asked that his hand and feet be unrestrained for the hearing.
According to the Culpeper Star-Exponent, court security immediately tackled Reddick, toppling over the lawyers' table and breaking two legs on the table.
Flood reportedly screamed at security not to hurt Reddick.
The sheriff evacuated the courtroom, while security radioed for EMS to respond. No one else was injured, though the paper reports that Flood's bruises were apparent after a short recess. The extent of the lawyer's injuries were unknown, according to the Star-Exponent.
According to the Star-Exponent, Reddick is facing capital murder charges, and possible a death penalty sentence for the Feb. 11, 2011 shooting of his uncle, James Jackson, 55, his wife, Karen Lee Jackson, 53, and her daughter Chante Latrice Davis, 26.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt