Angry ex-dialysis clinic worker poured potentially deadly bleach into water, say S.C. police
(CBS/AP) COLUMBIA, S.C. - A South Carolina man said to be a disgruntled former employee of a dialysis clinic was arrested on Wednesday for pouring bleach into water that is used in the procedure, according to authorities.
Donald Foster III, 49, was charged with attempted murder and second-degree burglary.
He was reportedly angry at his former employers, and wanted revenge, according to Lexington County Sheriff James Metts.
Investigators say that shortly after being suspended from his job as an equipment manager on July 2, Foster broke into the dialysis clinic and poured bleach into a water tank.
During a test, workers found that the water had been contaminated.
Many patients could have died if the contaminated water had been used, according to Metts.
"We believe that this individual, with full knowledge and intent to harm or kill these clients coming in for dialysis...knew all along what he was doing and that this would kill the patients who would receive this contaminated water while they underwent dialysis treatment in the clinic," Metts told the Associated Press.
Foster was facing a bond hearing Thursday.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case