Man shoots himself in back of police car after arrest, Ark. police say
(AP) JONESBORO, Ark. - Authorities in Jonesboro are investigating after a handcuffed man fatally shot himself while sitting in the back of a patrol car.
The Jonesboro Sun reports that 21-year-old Chavis Chacobie Carter shot himself Saturday night. Carter, who was from Southaven, Miss., had been picked up on a felony warrant from Mississippi.
Jonesboro Police Chief Mike Yates says his department is now conducting an internal investigation after the death.
A police report says Carter was in the back of a patrol car with his hands cuffed behind his back when officers discovered he'd been shot. He was taken to a hospital where he later died.
Police say they're investigating how Carter got the gun and noted that he'd been searched twice by officers after his arrest.
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- Calif. teen, once honored, now murder suspect, cops say
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands
- Mother of La. girl allegedly killed by brother speaks out
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Details surface about Zimmerman jury candidate pool
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple