Man shoots himself in back of police car after arrest, Ark. police say
(AP) JONESBORO, Ark. - Authorities in Jonesboro are investigating after a handcuffed man fatally shot himself while sitting in the back of a patrol car.
The Jonesboro Sun reports that 21-year-old Chavis Chacobie Carter shot himself Saturday night. Carter, who was from Southaven, Miss., had been picked up on a felony warrant from Mississippi.
Jonesboro Police Chief Mike Yates says his department is now conducting an internal investigation after the death.
A police report says Carter was in the back of a patrol car with his hands cuffed behind his back when officers discovered he'd been shot. He was taken to a hospital where he later died.
Police say they're investigating how Carter got the gun and noted that he'd been searched twice by officers after his arrest.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests